Sunday, March 30, 2008

Pato Flattered By Pele Comparisons

AC Milan's teenage prodigy Alexandre Pato has admitted to being flattered to be compared to Brazilian football god Pele, but insisted that his focus is now strictly on helping his club qualify for the Champions League next season.

Things could hardly be going better for the 18-year-old at the moment, as last weekend he scored the only goal of the game as Milan won 1-0 at Torino, and then in midweek he made a dream debut for the Brazil, during which he was also the match-winner during the 1-0 friendly win over Sweden.

"I am happy with this goal on my debut and it makes me delighted that some people consider me the next Pele," beamed Pato.

"Pele, who scored in the 1958 World Cup final against Sweden, is my idol.

"At the moment my career is going well and I have to work very hard in order to continue with the national team.

"I am delighted with all the compliments I have received from so many people.

"But now my focus is on the domestic league and we have to concentrate in order to finish fourth in the standings and return to play in the Champions League next season."

The Rossoneri currently face a real struggle to qualify for next season's Champions League as they trail fourth-placed Fiorentina by four points. There will be added pressure on Pato today as Ronaldo, Filippo Inzaghi and Kaka are all unavailable through injury, while Alberto Gilardino is doubtful with the flu.

http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=640248

No comments: